Friday, January 2, 2009

On Beginnings

Yesterday marked the beginning of a new year.  I've been reflecting a bunch recently and have realized that every day marks the beginning of a new year.  There are probably at least half a dozen days that I mark each and every year and and 1 to the number of years that it has been since the event that caused me to start remembering that date.  June 6 is the day that I left for boot camp.  July 1st is the day that I exited the Marine Corps.  September 11 is now September 11.  November 15 is my birthday.  There are some others.
My reason for bringing this up is to illustrate my belief that the ideal time to make a move could very well be right now.  Every year at this time, there is a whole host of people that denigrate the making of resolutions on the dawn of the New Year.  In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to not make a New Year's Resolution.  Unfortunately, deciding not to declare what you would like to change all too often leads to there being no change.

What's my point?

Any moment can be the impetus for a sound, life-changing decision.  

To dovetail off of that idea, something that I have learned to implement in the past several months is a personal, internal reset button.
I find it very useful -especially when engaged in heated debate- to pause, check in with my mind, and see if I truly feel as passionate as my words and tone would indicate.  Some times I do.  Many times I do not.  When I'm sure that I am right (or at least that I don't want to lose the debate) this brief moment of internal quiet allows me to pursue my ends compassionately.  When I'm wrong or being bullheaded for the sake of my ego, I can discover that and tactfully and (hopefully) gracefully withdraw myself from the conversation or direct it in somewhere else.  What I find so cool and useful about this technique is that it allows me to decide how I feel.  I do not have to continue to feel and react in a certain way simply because I always have, even if up until only a moment ago.

Hey, if you like what's going on here, click the "Give Props" button on the left side of your screen.  
I would also love to hear from you, so please take a few seconds and write a brief comment or at least click one of the radio boxes to let me know how I'm doin'.

1 comment:

  1. Great insights, my friend. Very important to make liberal use of the internal reset button. (Hopefully no offense given by my use of the word liberal in its original non-political context). :)

    ReplyDelete